Monday, June 30, 2014

Module 4 is here.....

Well I have made it to module four for this class. So far I have mixed emotions, not sure this is what I was expecting. In one hand it has been a great review of instructional design terms and distance education terms, but in the other I feel the "technology" part was not quite I expected.

We have read about all types of technologies used in the past and present, but as far as application of them (other than actually being enrolled in an asynchronous class) we have only touched upon wikis and blogs. Both wikis and blogs are good pieces of technology, but I guess I was expecting more advanced items such as Captivate and Articulate.

The next few weeks should be interesting, I will be attending the national fire academy for a week long course called "21st Century Training for Fire and EMS Training Officers "...do we see a pattern here yet? I guess I am glutton for punishment.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Antonio, it’s Sue, your critical friend again. (I like your adjusted background and blog title by the way - I’m glad you found my comment helpful :) )
    I’d be interested to know whether you think you can make use of what you have read in OMDE 603 in your role? I notice in your comment in response to Dana in ‘Discussing the pros and cons of distance education’, you say that you like to use elearning to keep students interested, and you mention asynchronous assignments, for example. Have you used wikis and blogs for that purpose? Could you? What would Captivate and Articulate offer your students that wikis and blogs don’t, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,

    There is plenty I have learned on 603 that can be applied to what I do, however wikis and blogs are not it. Most of our courses are relatevley short and very hands on. Captivate and other software would be more useful because they are used to actually put the course materials into a format that will be the learning environment. This includes presentatios, audio, video, and quizzes. Once done inthere is is uploaded to the delivery server (canvas, blackboard or simply a set website) for the student to access.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Antonio, I can see that makes sense. Just wondering whether a blog or wiki might be a useful addition? Perhaps your students could set up their own blog, like we're doing here for 603, using a tool that is external to their usual learning environment? Anyway, just a thought ;)

    ReplyDelete